Some Things You Should Know

I started this blog a long time ago as when it was "What's Cooking at My house" and before my mad photography skills kicked in and before we went gluten free. With that said you never know what you might find here. There's a little something for everyone I believe. But my hope is to provide more recipes with better photos to tempt your tummy. *smile*

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tried and True Thanksgiving Recipes! Side Dishes

Okay we are into day two and I want your side dishes. I'll be honest with you. I could eat sides and pie and call it a day on Thanksgiving. LOL. To me, sides make it or break it.

Here are is a tried and true side that we have made every year since I can remember. My Mom used to make it and now I do. It may sound weird but these are soooo good.

Creamed Onions

Ingredients:
1- 3lb. bag of small sweet or yellow onions (if you can afford the pearl onions it's even better)
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 -1 cup of half and half

Directions:
Peel onions and cut in half. Place in a pot and fill with water just enough to boil without drying out. Cover with lid and bring to a low boil. Keep a watch out to make sure you don't cook up all your water, you don't want burnt onions. Cook until fork tender.
Drain off excess water and put back over low heat.
Add your butter and stir to melt.
Add enough half and half that you don't quite cover your onions.
Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
Heat through and enjoy.

Okay and I couldn't leave without posting this one again. It's my Grandmother's recipe that she made all the time up until she passed away. It's just not Thanksgiving without it!

Mamie's Cranberry Mold

1 Package of cranberry gelatin
1 c. of hot water
1 can whole cranberry sauce
1 sm. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 small package of cream cheese 4 oz.
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in fruit and nuts.
Pour half of mixture into your mold or pretty dish. Place in fridge until firm.
Blend cream cheese and sour cream.
Spread over chilled gelatin.
Add remaining gelatin and chill until firm.
Enjoy!

And don't forget that each recipe you link is going to be included in the FREE E-Book that I put together when this is all over. And each recipe enters you for my giveaway too!

Two Gooseberry Patch Booklets with recipes for the over abundance of apples and canned pumpkin you have!Bring on the recipes!
HUGS!!




4 comments:

Kathy C. said...

Yummy! Thanksgiving is just around the corner! :) When is pie day, when is pie day???? I have a good photo you can display for that day...the one I took last year of all the pies lined up! ;)

Unknown said...

Linked up a couple of sides my friend - we'll definitely be having our stuffing, but haven't finalized the rest of the sides (except for the required mashed potatoes & gravy!). Thanks for hosting all the deliciousness!

Saleslady371 said...

I love jello molds!

Debbie said...

I think I could really dig those onions! I grew up with a strong dislike for onions - but this recipe sounds Yum-azing!!!