Some Things You Should Know

I started this blog a long time ago as when it was "What's Cooking at My house" and before my mad photography skills kicked in and before we went gluten free. With that said you never know what you might find here. There's a little something for everyone I believe. But my hope is to provide more recipes with better photos to tempt your tummy. *smile*

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Better for You EggNog

 You know I couldn’t come off and say it’s “good” for you because then it just wouldn’t be eggnog. You know what I’m sayin’? But I did manage to make it “better” for you so you can drink it with a lot less guilt.

Ingredients

  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cups sugar (I used Coconut Sugar. It’s Low Glycemic)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups coconut milk (the refrigerated kind), divided
  • 1 tablespoons rum extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • Additional nutmeg, optional

Directions

  • In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 2 cups of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes. This is the labor intensive part.
  • Pour into a large heat proof bowl; stir in the rum extract, nutmeg and remaining coconut milk. Place bowl in the freezer for about 2 hours or until mixture is completely cool. You could put it in the fridge but if you’re like me you don’t want to wait that long. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.
  • When ready to serve, beat cream in a large bowl (put beaters and bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to speed up the process) on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into your favorite Christmas glasses and enjoy! Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: Approx. 7 servings.
  • This could easily be doubled for a party.
Let me know if you try it and like it!
HUGS,
Kim

No comments: