Some Things You Should Know

I started this blog a long time ago as when it was "What's Cooking at My house" and before my mad photography skills kicked in and before we went gluten free. With that said you never know what you might find here. There's a little something for everyone I believe. But my hope is to provide more recipes with better photos to tempt your tummy. *smile*

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Blender Molasses Muffins


If you don't know who Sue Gregg is and you want to know how to eat healthier but think it's too hard. You need to visit her website.
I purchased all her books and have recently started perusing them again and I'm ready to challenge myself to eat more healthy.
Starting pretty soon I'm going to do a whole month of nothing but Sue Gregg recipes and see how we feel at the end of that month.

I tried this recipe last night. If you are unfamiliar with the 2-Stage process, it's not hard at all. It just takes planning.

Blender Molasses Muffins

I love the ease of this recipe. It may sound strange to you to leave it sit over night but if you get her cookbooks she explains this in great depth. Her cookbooks aren't just recipes, but they are filled with tons and tons of great information. I can't even begin to tell you how much I recommend these books.
But enough of that. Here's the recipe.
I adapted this to what I had on hand and it came out great!

Ingredients
Stage 1:
3/4 c. warm filtered water
3 TBS. Whole Plain Yogurt
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
3 TBS Raw Honey
1/2 Blackstrap Molasses (much better for you than plan ol' molasses)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry berries (not flour)
(If you choose to make these by hand in a bowl and not the blender, use 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, kamut or spelt in place of the whole wheat berries)

Place in blender at high speed (I have a Vita-Mix and only have to blend for about 1-2 minutes) 3-5 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let stand 12-24 hours.

Leavenings:
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
Sift leavenings and salt through a small strainer into a small bowl and set aside.

1 egg
1/3-1/2 c. additional flour, optional ( I did do this to make the batter a little thicker)


Stage 2:
Preheat your oven to 325. Grease muffin pan with non stick spray or butter.
Slightly stir egg into blender mixture and blend at high speed for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Blend in an extra 1/3-1/2 cup flour with a rubber spatula, if desired. Briefly blend in leavenings and salt.
If mixing in a bowl simply add these ingredients to your mixture and blend well with spoon or spatula.

Fill muffin cups evenly and bake for 20 mins.

Enjoy!
If you like molasses you'll love these!

*This recipe was adapted from the Sue Gregg cookbook "More than....Breakfasts...with Blender Batter Baking & Allery Alternatives!

2 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

These sound yummy!

Unknown said...

Very interesting! I think I would like these, but don't think hubs & son would go for them. Bet they go good with coffee!